On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 11:25 -0700, Jordan Erickson wrote:
> Hey all,

Hi Jordan, welcome to Edubuntu!

> I'm Jordan Erickson - I own a small network consulting and support
> company in Northern California. I've started following Edubuntu heavily
> in the recent months, and have just 2 weeks ago started my first
> Edubuntu thin client network with a customer of mine. Things are going
> well, they're on Dapper Flight-6 (I know I know...but it just looks so
> much better!) We're ironing out bugs as we go (most of which I'm
> associating with the server being a dual PIII 550 with only 512MB ram).
> It serves 6 laptops as thin clients, with another 6-7 workstations in
> the works.

Nice! If you can't upgrade the RAM, I would suggest trying XFCE for
those machines, it's much less memory intensive.

> I did have a question which I saw a little bit of before - The "Users
> and Groups" GUI seems to act up sometimes, acting very sluggish and
> sometimes not starting up at all (with a 'working' mouse cursor
> remaining in Gnome), even under little/no other network/server load.

We've had that problem in tuXlabs before too. It happens often when you
add a lot of users, and then click on Ok. It's best to add 5 users at a
time max, and then click on Ok. YMMV

> Any insight would be greately appreciated - the kids love Edubuntu! I'm
> going to be submitting some things that might be of use to the Edubuntu
> community, such as actual child surveys on the system (what they
> like/don't like), and possibly some lesson plans involving Edubuntu that
> the staff are creating as I type.

Wow, I'm sure lots of educators would appreciate it if you could feed
that back!

-Jonathan