Hi James

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 11:20 -0600, James Call wrote:
> I looked for a searchable archive for this list and I can't find
> anything.  I think it would be a good idea to put a link to it on
> edubuntu.org.  I have been able to find solutions for most of my
> problems at ubuntuforums.org by searching and I think the same thing
> would be great for us with edubuntu.

The list archives are available from the mailman archive page:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-devel/

Although it's not very searchable :/

We're working on better documentation for LTSP, it's quite important and
will all be available on the website. I agree that more information
about the mailing list is important too, I'll add it to the to-do
list :)

> Does someone have an example of a lts.conf that I could look at??

I have one you can look at: http://jonathancarter.co.za/files/lts.conf

Just ignore the mouse settings, it's invalid :)

> I have some compaqs, and some dells in our school lab and I want to
> configure xserver for the different video cards.  Can someone point me
> in the right direction?

In that example file I've pointed you at, you'll see something at the
bottom that looks like this:

[00:11:25:84:CE:BA]
  XSERVER = vesa

The section between the brackets is the workstation MAC address. You see this
on the workstation while it boots up.

The second part is the display driver. "vesa" is a slow, clunky driver that
should work on almost anything (good for testing), but you can specify many
other display driver here too. If "auto" works, it's usually best to go with
that.

-Jonathan