is it possible to install a base system to hard drive that consists of just the image that is downloaded via tftp so that a "thick" client can boot, and then attach to the server?  I ask becuase I have a handful of old machines that dont have LAN built into the motherboard, so they cant boot from network, but they all have lan cards that work.

how do you go about setting up a thick client?

are there different levels of "thick" client?

how do I select which is best to use?

is there a way to have the clients update thier install from the server, in the background, while they are in use?

is this even the right place to ask these questions? (is there a site somewhere that anwsers them)  -- I checked the edubuntu wiki, but I cant find much of anything there yet.

-Brent