Hi,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, CET wrote:

> We used wireless network interface cards which comes with windows
> drivers.
> But luckily Edubuntu 7.04 does have Linux drivers for the wireless (CNet
> CWP-854). We wanted to boot from the network. But PXE is not supported.
> The
> clients are mainly p2 and p3.

As others have stated, PXE booting is pretty much a non-runner over
wireless.  There are some exceptions, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

http://osdir.com/ml/network.etherboot.user/2006-03/msg00006.html

If you can get over the booting issue (either using TCOS or some other
small OS locally on the desktop), you will then, I suspect hit another
issue.  20 desktops running wirelessly as thin clients on a single 802.11g
network doesn't sound nice.  The network may in principal be 54Mbps but in
practice you get a lot less than that, even when things work well.  Where
signals get weak, things get even worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11g

This is just instinct, I've never tried running 20 wireless thin clients on
a single access point, but I'd have grave doubts that it work well.  If you
get it to work well, that would be very interesting to know.

My advice, such as it is, is to install Edubuntu or possibly Xubuntu on the
desktops, mount /home over nfs and use LDAP or NIS for centralised
authentication.  If you have 300 desktops, you'll need to come up with some
sort of cloning mechanism to do it quickly and some further tricks to keep
them all configured.  That way, you'll use the wireless for internet access
and user files only.

> Another thing, we were hoping to get a small iso image that could be used
> in the clients instead of installing the full edubuntu desktop which also
> have all the application programs that are in the edubuntu server. We
> were able to find an operating system hurd-tiny-cd
> 20060722.iso.gz, unfortunately this os does not have drivers for the
> wireless.

I don't honestly understand what you're trying to do here.  When you're
using thin clients, you don't install applications on the thin clients, you
only install them on the server.

> Can we please work gtogether in this project and please don't ask why I
> don't use cables? I have 300 wireless cards and fifteen access points
> that have to be put in 15 schools, what can I do with this equipment if
> it can all fail?

I haven't asked why you don't use cables but there are really good reasons
why I would like to ask.

Gavin