2008/10/13 Tom Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Caroline Ford
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> 2008/10/12 Andrés Monroy-Hernández <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> Dear edubuntu developers,
>>>
>>> We are looking for volunteers to help us create a package of the
>>> Scratch educational programming environment <http://scratch.mit.edu>
>>> for Ubuntu in general and Edubuntu in particular.  The current
>>> installers (Win/Mac) come with all the necessary elements needed to
>>> run Scratch  (Squeak, some DLLs for Windows) as well as sample
>>> projects and an image+sound library. We would like to have the
>>> equivalent for Ubuntu.
>>>

>> I see that it's under Creative Commons BY-SA which is fine.
>
> Activities that are uploaded to the Scratch site are considered to be
> under a BY-SA license, although that's pretty much just handwaving
> from a legal standpoint, particularly since children in the US at
> least cannot relicense their own work without parental consent.

I read it as everything on that site, including the downloads. I see
from the sourcecode page that I was wrong.

> More importantly, the license for the "Scratch Source Code" at
> http://scratch.mit.edu/pages/source is a non-commercial, thus non-free
> non-OSI compliant license, which can't be in Edubuntu.

Yes totally. We can't package or distribute it under that license.

> I'm 99.9% certain they used to have a BSD-style license so maybe you
> can get an earlier copy of the image.

Can anyone find it?

"The Scratch source code license allows you to distribute derivative
works based on the Scratch source code for non-commercial uses subject
to the following restrictions:"

I'll amend the bug to point out that we can't package it.

Caroline