In the Edubuntu meeting last week I introduced Sugar
(http://sugarlabs.org) - the learning platform originally developed
for OLPC - and we discussed ways of working together.

Currently the Ubuntu Sugar Team is very small, and none of us have
upload rights. Working within the Edubuntu team would help us a lot
there.

Sugar has a bunch of packages - see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SugarTeam/Packages. Code names in the project
include:
* Glucose - the actual platform, sugar, sugar-base, sugar-artwork,
sugar-datastore, sugar-presence-service etc
* Fructose - activities which run on glucose, which are developed
according to the upstream Sugar release process
* Honey - activities which are developed in the broader community,
which don't follow the Sugar release process

The packages are all in universe, with the exception of etoys and
squeak which are in multiverse. We've had some debates on Sugar
mailing lists in the past few days, leading to the conclusion that
debian is the appropriate place to argue for squeak's acceptance into
main from non-free.

It was suggested that we incorporate the Ubuntu Sugar Team as a
subteam of Edubuntu, and work towards including Sugar into Edubuntu
(the CD image) which would mean moving Sugar into main. I think this
is a great goal but in the short term I'm concerned that we would be
too dependent on Jordan to sponsor all the uploads - while it's in
universe at least we can work towards MOTU and getting upload rights
ourselves.

In the intrepid release cycle, we got going rather late and when
syncing from debian, we discovered they were rather behind, and didn't
have the latest stable releases of the components packaged, so we had
to release with older versions and patch a few things. We still have
some open bug reports that I can do patches for, for SRU at some
point.

For jaunty, we need to review our patches and merge from sid since
they have caught up with upstream as far as I know - but Sugar
upstream has started on an unstable release series which should
hopefully lead to a new stable release series in time for Jaunty.

How can we take things forward to work with Edubuntu? What's the next step?

Regards
Morgan