On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 7:45 PM, David Groos <djgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the previous e-mail, Jordan, you explained how Sabayon works with user
> profiles.  Would you say this is the ideal approach?  What do others think?
> Why did the creators/maintainers abandon the project or I should say leave
> it to 1 side?  Did they become frustrated with patching this particular
> approach?  Should a new approach be started?  Is this practical is a
> different question :-)  What do others who know of the guts of Sabayon,
> think?

I wouldn't say it is necessarily an ideal approach, it's just an
approach. If you want pretty complete control of a user's $HOME it's a
good way to go and is an impressive app. It may be overkill for a lot
of people though. Sabayon was created by Red Hat (presumably for
enterprise use). I really credit them for doing a heck of a job on it.
For whatever reason Red Hat sort of stopped really developing. It
could be it was feature complete enough for what they wanted. I think
some of the devs may have left Red Hat at some point as well. There
are a few people from Red Hat who continue to maintain Sabayon and it
does apparently work fine in Fedora, but there hasn't been anybody
really working on it for Debian/Ubuntu.

I think it's useful to break down the problem into discrete tasks that
you, as an educator, need to accomplish. Then tools can either be
extended or created to meet those needs.  For instance, sabayon does
not prevent users from executing applications, it can just remove them
from the menu. Sabayon doesn't change the user menu in any dynamic
way, that's what edubuntu-menu can hopefully provide. Sabayon doesn't
provide for any management of currently running sessions, iTalic is
more along those lines.

What I'd really love to see is a nice page (on wiki.ubuntu.com and
then perhaps moved to edubuntu.org eventually) that has educator tasks
and apps that can do the task. The tasks should be fairly specific but
general enough they will appeal to broad audiences. This would not
only be helpful to developers so they can provide needed apps, but
also for fellow educators looking for what to use.

-Jordan