Hi,

>> I would like to add that we were using gnu-efi 3.0.17, and by
>> downgrading it to 3.0.15, it now works.
>>
>> That probably means that gnu-efi is the culprit here.
>>

> Christian is looking into that topic, you may have seen some patches of
> him on the list. He told me that there is currently no sane release of
> gnu-efi if you go beyond current distro versions.

Indeed, gnu-efi version 3.0.15 is the latest version release-tagged EFI Boot
Guard currently works with, nothing beyond. You need at least the patch [1]
since with gnu-efi 3.0.16 commit 4f8b339 "Make ELF constructors and destructors
work", EFI Boot Guard's .init_array method no longer works as the watchdog
probing functions are not suitable for being called as constructors. That's
most likely the reason for your crash.
Probably, you need [2] as well if you leave the default -Werror enabled and use
gnu-efi > 3.0.17.

On x86 at least, then, it should work since it uses --target=efi-app-$(ARCH).
On ARM64, it depends on the binutils version (>= 2.38 or not), see my patch
"Fix arm support for gnu-efi > 3.0.15", posted to the mailing list but not yet
merged.

That said, I have not yet tested whether you strictly need some commits
3.0.17..HEAD under the various scenarios, e.g., signed, but there are some
sensible fixes to linker scripts and crt0 in that range...

Kind regards,
  Christian

[1]
https://github.com/siemens/efibootguard/commit/ee11bc14c7289f4875a9db4e5b078f162e0fe042