I don’t think there is a link between the two.

And the content filter does work. I have two customers who keep their employees
off those websites that are most likely to infect your computer with some virus.

In fact, it works too well - the wrong word on the news page of sites like
msn.com or yahoo.com will prevent them from opening, so you have to place them
in the whitelist.

It works thru the Advanced Web Proxy, which unless the proxy address is set up
in IE, will not be used by default. Setting it to 'transparent on Green' will
solve all that without you having to change IE's settings on all the clients.
And of course Contentfilter is enabled there as well.

On the Content filter page, I set it up like this for businesses:

Max score: 300, PICS enabled
Block Pages with categories: (all you decide)
Block pages known to have content: (all you decide)
Black and white lists: (as needed)

If you've set this, and it still isn’t working, try rebooting the efw.