I've seen something similar on another firewall/security gateway than endian
using a transparent http proxy:

Some clients were asking for software updates (it was adobe reader, when I
remember right), on the proxy the update was scanned by havp/clamav for quite
a while and so the updater on the clients site thought, that the conection
timed out and tried to download again and again and again and...

This way all of the memory and all of cpu of the gateway was consumed and
other actions on the http proxy were extremely slow.

You might try to find out, if something similar is happening to you. Try using
top on the shell, try reading the proxy logs. And if you find something similar
then you could bypass the proxy for these targets.

Greetz,
Andy