I have both windows and linux guests, and I have 2 efw firewalls running
virtual for myself, and one as a vm for a customer.

I cant get the linux drivers installed on any of them for the same reason
you cant, but I find the performance perfectly acceptable. My customer has
about 40 users, and two permanent (more or less) remote users by openvpn.
Runs great, alongside a win2003 Server vm that's used to share a volume for
backups.

I dont think I said I experienced any bad performance. I just havent noticed
any perfomnace gains using virtio drivers versus using the e1000 emulation.

And yes, centos 5.4 is kernel 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5. But the performance is
better on it than my tests with xen or kvm on ubuntu, for example. And even
though Fedora 11 has the newest kernel and kvm versions, VMs running on
centos are more stable and the tools like the virtual machine manager work
better.

Anyway, good luck to you. I'd like to hear if you find a way to get the
drivers installed.