I can't speak to version 2.3 because I still use 2.2, but I
have to disable many of the scanners to get it to run in
that much ram without a lot of disk swap use. Disabling
things like the content filter (which never seems to work
well for me or my customers anyway), and intrusion
detection, and the spam filters. I keep the virus scanners
running, though...

Anyway, it has been possible to use so little ram, but 1 Gig
of ram (or more) is better...