-----Mensaje original-----
De: Amatino [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: lunes, 27 de marzo de 2006 11:31
Para: 'Eibartarrak zerrenda'
Asunto: [eibar] In the town of Eibar

'My brother was killed by Eta'
BBC News

Ana Aizpiri Leyaristi's brother Sebastian was shot dead by the Basque separatist group Eta in 1988.

She gave the BBC News website her reaction to the ceasefire announced by the group on Wednesday.

My brother's killing followed a campaign of rumours by Eta against him in which they said he was a drug trafficker.

But he was nothing of the kind, he was a successful businessman in the town of Eibar, who belonged to a decent, peaceful and non-political family.

He owned a restaurant and a butcher shop and was doing really well.

Eta were simply trying to get some money out of him and he would not give in to them.

If he had paid them or if he had belonged to a political party, he would still be alive today.

He had been told he was on a list of businessmen who were being targeted for not agreeing to pay Eta. This was one of their main financial sources - intimidation.

I could have had the men who killed my brother shot, but I am not them. I am peaceful and non-violent
The police even offered him protection and he didn't take it.

Perhaps he was a little naive but he genuinely didn't think that he could be killed.

On 25 May 1988, he left his butcher shop and drove into town. As he got out of his car he was approached by two men in the street who shot him three times.

He died instantly. He was 39.

I was at home getting ready to go out when the phone rang. It was one of Sebastian's friends.

He told me he had been shot. I couldn't believe what he was telling me. I thought it was a really sick joke at first.

I drove with my other brother to the area where it happened. He was still lying there in the street.

I knew then that it was real. It was awful and I will never forget it.

Living in fear

It was especially difficult living in the Basque region afterwards, hearing all the nationalist talk about independence and the hatred of anything Spanish.

I have always felt comfortable being Basque-Spanish.

I have never been in favour of Eta's politics or tactics.

I could have had the men who killed my brother shot, but I am not them. I am peaceful and non-violent.

I repressed my vindictiveness, which was psychologically bad for me and I suffered for it.

But I would not resort to their ways. I could not use violence against anyone.

We lived in fear, not being able to speak out against Eta and their politics for years.

It took many years until people felt they could demonstrate against them and not fear they would be intimidated or even killed.

I used to be angry with Eta, but I don't have any anger to waste on them any more
My brother's death had nothing directly to do with politics, he simply refused to give in to Eta's tactics of intimidation.

But Eta didn't understand the difference and I'm not even sure they understand it today.

They hold the Basque country as the most cherished region on earth.

But you can't say that if you don't cherish the people who want to live peacefully within it.

I used to be angry with Eta, but I don't have any anger to waste on them any more.

I've never brought war to anyone. They brought war to us and declared war on us.

Now that they have declared a ceasefire, they are the ones who will have to learn how to change and live peacefully.

But I am sceptical about whether they can.

Adi gero, mezuak bidaltzeko: eibartarrak@postaria.com

http://www.eibar.org/zerrenda

harpidetza eteteko: [EMAIL PROTECTED]