> Hi Dee,
>
> D Webb wrote:
> > How does "top" look?
> > Are you
> > using a kernel that actually uses both processors and you see this with
> > hitting
> > "1" while top is running?
>
> yes, the 2 processors are active and Ekiga takes over one of them when the
> camera is connected:
>
> #~ top
> (...)
> Cpu0  :  5.6%us,  1.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 93.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.3%si,  0.0%st
> Cpu1  :  0.3%us, 99.7%sy,  0.0%ni,  0.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
> (...)
> 21377 david     20   0 86224  29m  19m R   98  1.5   0:08.80 ekiga
> (...)
>
> I'm using Debian Lenny's latest kernel:
>
> #~ uname -rsv
> Linux 2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 17:45:04 UTC 2008
>
> I guess this can be a problem in the uvcvideo driver, but it seems to work ok
> with other apps... any suggestions on how to further debug this?
>
> Thanks for your comments,

Hi again,

I can't think of anything more right now. It seems we have similar SMP machines
and
kernels. The memory problem on older machines with less memory was one I knew
about because I have seen it reproducibly. I also know that adding swap made it
go
away, again, on a much older machine. I have had problems with Ekiga crashing
when I try to make a call, but I have left it on for days at a time without
making a call,
but with my webcam installed and it looked to keep grabbing frames in a steady
stream for the entire time. My webcam is a USB Philips ToUcam using the
pre-packaged
kernel driver.

I have heard of some webcam problems regarding V4L2 with Ekiga that disappeared
once switched to V4L (maybe vice versa as well). I guess you could try changing
the
webcam settings in Ekiga and see what happens.

Dee