http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/7787525/Perhaps-the-Queen-should-take-a-cut-like-the-rest-of-us.html
  Perhaps the Queen should take a cut like the rest of us   If it should
appear that the Queen is hoping for extra funds when child tax credit is
being cut, turning the lights out won't help, writes Melanie McDonagh.

By Melanie McDonagh
Published: 10:17PM BST 30 May 2010

Prince Philip listens as Queen Elizabeth speaks during her address to the
House of Lords Photo: REUTERS

A civil servant tersely summed up for the Prime Minister the problem with
the Queen's bid to get an increase in the Civil List, after years of it
lagging behind inflation: "When you are trying to follow a restrictive
policy on wages and salaries, it would be unfortunate to be appearing to
give the Queen an automatic guarantee against inflation."

Dead right, that man. There are £6 billion public sector cuts this year,
while the annual increase in the Civil List that's now proposed would amount
to an estimated £6 million. A blip in the great scheme of things, but that's
hardly the point.

The quote above is, in fact, from 1970 and the prime minister was Edward
Heath. It was he who decided against a nodded-through link between the Civil
List and inflation. He thought it would send out all the wrong messages at a
time of austerity.

Precisely the same argument holds good now. The Cabinet took a token five
per cent cut in salary (not half enough, you might think: the Irish PM's
salary was cut by 20 per cent). Given that there's a middle-class tax revolt
on capital gains tax, this is not the year for retrospective index-linking
for the Royal family's expenses delivered by an old Etonian PM.

In fact, one of the appealing features of the Queen's public persona is her
reputation for thrift. The notion that she goes around turning out the
lights in Buckingham Palace may be pure fiction for all I know, but it's
excellent PR. The Queen, we think, unlike some we could mention – oh, all
right, the Prince of Wales – knows the value of money. That plays well with
pensioners; it plays well with taxpayers.

But if it should appear that the Queen is hoping for extra funds when child
tax credit is being cut, turning the lights out won't help. The extra money
might well be spent on mending roofs at assorted palaces rather than on
betting on horses (which I have nothing against, mind you), but it doesn't
matter: it would set an awful example to the rest of the sector subsidised
by the state. And setting a good example is the Queen's job.

So what should she do? Well, as David Cameron so memorably observed about
cuts before the election, any family can cut one pound in a hundred. The
Queen should show us how.

Marie Stopes International (MSI), the British birth-control charity, which
screened the first ever abortion ads in Britain last week, has expanded its
operations to eastern China, with five abortion clinics and another two
planned. When Li Bin, the Chinese population minister, visited Britain, he
paid a call to MSI and to one of its clinics in Bristol.

The mission to China is, according to Dana Hovig, MSI's chief executive, to
introduce notions of "voluntarism, choice and informed consent" to the
provision of abortion.
So would that mean not forcing women in the latter stages of gestation to
abort their foetuses on the basis that they had one child already?

Unless MSI, which gets £30 million a year from NHS contracts, can somehow
persuade the Chinese government to abandon its grisly, compulsory one-child
policy, it shouldn't be operating there. And perhaps it might also decline
to abort female foetuses, on the grounds that the policy has already led to
a gender imbalance of 131:100 in boy to girl babies. Choice, eh?

There are more buttercups this May than I've ever seen. Some of the meadows
in the bit of Ireland I'm in now are a haze of bright gold. Most of the
splashes of colour in the countryside nowadays come from brash, acid-yellow
rape – a cheerful field of buttercups is so much lovelier.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/7787525/Perhaps-the-Queen-should-take-a-cut-like-the-rest-of-us.html

TelegraphNews

Comments
10<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/7787525/Perhaps-the-Queen-should-take-a-cut-like-the-rest-of-us.html#comments>|
Comment
on this
article<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/7787525/Perhaps-the-Queen-should-take-a-cut-like-the-rest-of-us.html#postComment>

Comments: 10

·         There simple fact is there are now too many Royals being financed
from the Public purse. I agree with financing the Queen (plus husband) and
the immediate Royal Household; however I do not agree with financing her
children, grandchildren, and the remainder of the so called Royals. The heir
to the throne receives sufficient from the Duchy of Cornwall to support
himself and his children, the Queen has a large enough fortune to have set
up trust funds for her other Children and Grandchildren. The vast majority
of the so called Royals have no added value for the country and as such
should expect nothing from the taxpayer.

Phil Medway

on May 31, 2010

at 09:13 AM

comment<newsfeedb...@telegraph.co.uk?subject=posting%20complaint:%20COMMENT%207789399%20Posted%20by%20Phil%20Medway%20on%20May%2031,%202010%2009:13%20AM>

·         Howzabout we cut the entire civil list completely.

If any of the vermin in ermine (including the Royal Family) want money, let
them work for it like the rest of us have to.

The UK has people dying for lack of medical treatment, citizens living on
the streets and pensioners die of cold every single year.

How can we possibly justify yet more money for over pampered, over educated
chinless wonders!

Johnny Johnson

on May 31, 2010

at 09:04 AM

comment<newsfeedb...@telegraph.co.uk?subject=posting%20complaint:%20COMMENT%207789368%20Posted%20by%20Johnny%20Johnson%20on%20May%2031,%202010%2009:04%20AM>

·         Perhaps the time has come to trim down the size of the Royal
Family to the Queen, Duke, Heir and older son. That is what happens in
Scandinavia.

The rest should rely on the bank of mum and dad or get a job. After all the
Norwegian minor royals do that - get a job.

But here we are providing limos and security galore for the pop eyed
daughters of the gluttonous Fergie and the self important Andie. The latter
must be the only person able to sell a house worth £12m for £14M. But if you
have a Kazakh billionaire as a mate anything goes.

And let us take over the Duchy of Cornwall too. That gives the heir £15m pa
pocket money. Does he really need that to live on and all the extras he gets
from taxpayers ? Income from the Duchy estate could be used solely to
protect the environment of the UK. A worthwhile cause that HRH would
naturally support.

I am a staunch monarchist and believe the Queen and Duke have always but
duty before self. But as for her offspring. They do more for the cause of
Republicanism than Republicans could ever achieve. I fear an 'apres la
deluge' period when HM passes on.

Michael

on May 31, 2010

at 08:54 AM

comment<newsfeedb...@telegraph.co.uk?subject=posting%20complaint:%20COMMENT%207789329%20Posted%20by%20Michael%20on%20May%2031,%202010%2008:54%20AM>

·         The politicians get paid more than ever. Get them to take a pay
cut.
fern

on May 31, 2010

at 09:04 AM

comment<newsfeedb...@telegraph.co.uk?subject=posting%20complaint:%20COMMENT%207789369%20Posted%20by%20fern%20on%20May%2031,%202010%2009:04%20AM>

·         Cannot see an elected President ever doing a pay freeze for their
country.

And as for the Taoiseach taking a 20% cut, this is true but it is also true
the he remains one of the best paid country leaders in the modern world.
Only €5k less than David Cameron for a country with only 4 million people.
Go figure.

Bill

on May 31, 2010

at 08:59 AM

comment<newsfeedb...@telegraph.co.uk?subject=posting%20complaint:%20COMMENT%207789345%20Posted%20by%20Bill%20on%20May%2031,%202010%2008:59%20AM>

·         I believe it is 20 years since the Civil list was increased. If
this was increased each year by a small amount perhaps linked to inflation a
large increase would be unecessary. The Queen promotes this country in a way
that no politician can. The amount requested by the Palace is a paltry
amount for this service to the Country and can be funded by the savings made
from reducing the Ministers chauffeur driven cars.

Paul Goble

on May 31, 2010

at 08:56 AM

comment<newsfeedb...@telegraph.co.uk?subject=posting%20complaint:%20COMMENT%207789340%20Posted%20by%20Paul%20Goble%20on%20May%2031,%202010%2008:56%20AM>

·         Sorry but this family of fools live in another world, they even
fail to realise that most of their wealth was stolen if you check the
history books. I dont feel the royal family does anything for the UK and
should be made to stand on its on two feet and also pay tax like everyone
else. Stuff history this is now and they need to be brought down to earth
and work like the royal families of Holland or Sweden to name just two.

steve fenton

on May 31, 2010

at 08:56 AM

comment<newsfeedb...@telegraph.co.uk?subject=posting%20complaint:%20COMMENT%207789341%20Posted%20by%20steve%20fenton%20on%20May%2031,%202010%2008:56%20AM>

·         This extra money is not for whooping it up at in a nightclub; some
of the palaces are falling into a poor state of repair and we all know that
cliched saying... a stitch in time saves nine.

It also seems a little unfair and a tad hypocritical that MP's have creamed
plenty of perks over the years (and MEP's continue to do so), whilst our
national treasures fall apart.

I am quite happy to pay an extra penny in the pound to help out. Giver her
the cash.

Mark Cole

on May 31, 2010

at 08:56 AM