System:
Java      openJDK 1.7
elasticsearch 0.90.7

Following some old instructions, I modified
/etc/sysconfig/elasticsearch
ES_JAVA_OPTS="-Des.node.name=$(name -n cut -d'.' -f1)"

But, that crashes the elasticsearch service on start.
I've tried the entry both with and without the double-quotes.

Commenting out the entry restores the elasticsearch functionality so it
starts up without error again.

At the moment, it looks like Elasticsearch might be using only a randomly
generated string to identify Elasticsearch nodes in a cluster.
Elasticsearch-head appears to be assigning random "friendly names" to each
node, but for consistency from session it would be far preferable for the
Elasticsearch Node Name to be the same as the Hostname of the machine.

Am hoping this is not a problem with openJDK and would have to install
Oracle Java instead (would be somewhat surprising if this would be a cause).

Thx,
TS