> Ha! Nice you found the issue.
> About your last question, are you still using S3?

Well, I completed the experiment to see what happened.  Turns out the S3
operations generated a bit of unexpected cost (many I/O operations
during indexing).

Also a restore to /mnt/elasticsearch after EC2 instance start took 10-15
minutes for a 25GB index.

> As Karel wrote, you should really use EBS instead of S3 gateway.
> I guess that in that case with EBS your drives will be automatically
> mounted when your instance wake up.

Yep.  Got an EBS drive in operation now.  Will test it tomorrow.

Thanks!