You can just download the tar.gz, unpack it, and start ES with
./bin/elasticsearch -Des.node.name=... or set ES_JAVA_OPTS to "-
Des.node.name=...", in any startup script you prefer.

There is no need to build from source. ES behaves just like any Java app I
know of that uses Java system properties, for example, JBoss or Tomcat.

Since interpreting Java system properties have no relationship with System
V or systemd, I'm not sure how I can follow you.

FWIW I use ES on RHEL with the service wrapper
https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-servicewrapper by just
adding a symlink in the /etc/init.d folder.

Jörg