There is no explicit documentation about where to place the data directory,
but I find it best if you should keep as much as possible
(configs/data/logs) from outside of the installation directory. I believe
installing from a deb/rpm package might enforce a directory structure
(never tried).

The relevant config param is path.data

https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/blob/master/config/elasticsearch.yml#L147

Cheers,