Thanks Ivan, makes sense. Still could not test how sockets relate to shards
and why I automatically get 10 established sockets when opening a client:

node = builder.client(clientOnly).data(!clientOnly).local(local).node();

client = node.client();

on default ES configuration, and many many more sockets after (up to 200),
and how this number changes when increasing/decreasing number of shards,

but happily I managed to fix the initial issue of highlighting info being
randomly lost by a config change as described here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/elasticsearch/3t6UL_vzM7o/TLnV2m2B1NAJ

so sockets does not look an issue anymore.

Regards.