Hey,

this is a result, that all the package files are moved around in the
filesystem instead of having it centrally in one directory, like in the zip
file distribution. Usually the init script takes care of it all and you do
not have to add all those path configurations manually. Any specific reason
you dont use the init script in /etc/init.d/elasticsearch?

--Alex