Hi guys and gals,

I have come across a curious problem, possibly a bug while working with
mappings this morning. It's been a few months since I have had to create
any mapping but created series of PHP scripts to do so a few months ago.
Everything worked great until my latest upgrade to 0.90.10, now when I run
my scripts I get error 404 IndexMissingException. So I checked using the
mappings suggested in the ES documentation specifically:

$ curl -XPUT 'http://localhost:9200/twitter/tweet/_mapping' -d '
{
    "tweet" : {
        "properties" : {
            "message" : {"type" : "string", "store" : "yes"}
'

This throws the same error, after further investigation it seems this can be
used after an initial command is sent to create the index first, like:

$ curl -XPUT 'http://localhost:9200/twitter/'

Additionally, this can be bypassed by using the following syntax:

$ curl -XPUT 'http://localhost:9200/twitter/' -d '
{
    "mapping" : {
        "tweet" : {
            "properties" : {
                "message" : {"type" : "string", "store" : "yes"}

I'm not sure if this is purposeful but since it is still documented on the
ES site I think it should be addressed or clarified.

Additional I can confirm that the mapping works correctly via the Java API
using:

client.admin().indices().preparePutMapping(index).setType(type).setSource(mapping).execute().actionGet();

So this would suggest that the REST implementation is bugged. Any feedback
or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon