the flappy detection tool I have connects to the cluster using the standard
java autodiscovery mechanism, and, works out which shards are involved, and
then creates explicit TransportClient connection to each host, so would
need access to 9300 (the SMILE based protocol port).  Would that help? (is
9300 accessible from a host that can run java ?