Hey,

there is a specific setting preventing shard allocation, see
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/modules-cluster.html(the
disable_allocation setting). Alternatively you can also the gateway
recovery to start after a couple of minutes in addition to the expected
nodes, which might give you more time to fire up all nodes?

--Alex