Hi,

please have a look at shard allocation, where you can define, that specific
indices should be put into your stronger or weaker boxes (or whatever
criteria you define). This might be sufficient for a first try

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/index-modules-allocation.html#index-modules-allocation

If you need more sophisticated logic (based on CPU power or memory), you
could write your own decider, but I think you can go a mile with shard
allocation.

This also applies to your second question, where you could put the indices,
which are searched a lot, on the more powerful machines to make sure that
indexing and querying is as fast as possible.

Hope this helps...

--Alex