SSD will improve overall performance very much, yes. Disk drives are the
slowest part in the chain and this will help. No more low IOPS, so it will
significantly reduce the load on CPU (less IO waits).

More RAM will not help that much. In fact, more RAM will slow down
persisting, it increases pressure on the memory-to-disk part. ES obviously
does not depend on large RAM for persisting data, some MB suffice, but you
can try and see for yourself.

85 MB is not sufficient for testing index segment merging and GC effects,
you should run a bulk indexing feed not for seconds, but for at least 20-30
minutes, if not for hours.

Also check if your mapping can be simplified, the less complex analyzers,
the faster ES can index.

You should also exercise your feed program how long it takes to process
your input without the part of bulk indexing. Then you see a bottom line,
and maybe more space for improvement outside ES.

In my use case, it helped to move the feed program to another server and
use the TransportClient with a speedup of ~30%.

I agree that 5.5M/sec is not the end of the line but that heavily depends
on your hard- and software configuration (machine, OS, file systems, JVM).

Jörg