A couple of points:

1) If you bring down a whole cluster and start it back up, it may be that
during the start process the cluster is red. The reason is that until all
nods have rejoined some data may not be (yet) available for searching. This
should be resolve as soon as all the nodes are back (potentially earlier
depending on your replication settings)
2) Though *not* recommended - kill -9 should not result in data loss. If so
it's a bug and should be reported.