Unless I'm missing something in the docs or these forums,

I've surprisingly found that if a node fails to join the cluster, it's not
sufficient to simply restart ES on the machine. I would have thought that
restarting ES thereby re-reading its config files should be sufficient to
announce its intention to join the cluster.

But, I haven't found that to be the case, every time I've had to reboot the
entire machine to join the cluster.

Is there a config I'm missing?

Thx,
Tony