So did anyone ever have an answer as to why the TTL wasn't actually being
disabled?  I have a default TTL, but I have 1 index that I would like for
new documents to not be given a TTL.  This index already exists, I just
want to disable the TTL so as new ones arrive they aren't given a TTL.

I have done exactly as the original poster here did, and when I do my GET
the value still says it is enabled.  I even tried closing the index first,
then making the change.  It always replies as if it accepted the command,
but the value in the get shows it is still active.