On my testing (5 virtual nodes on a single box), I've been observing pretty
much the same.
I've tried pointing logstash to different nodes in the cluster and getting
approx. the same performance.

My main objective was to determine if by inserting the data into the
cluster on different nodes whether the data would be distributed
differently. Surprisingly, I've fond so far there is little difference at
the cluster level (distribution of shards and data across nodes) although
the details (actual shard locations on which nodes) would be different. In
other words, the overall "uneven-ness" of data was surprisingly almost
identical with each try although <where> the uneven-ness was typically
different.

And, I also found that inserting data into more than one node at once
didn't seem to make a diff.

One possibility is that your two EC2 instances might be running on the same
hardware which could explain our similar results?
I remember sitting a presentation years ago about this and how that person
"encouraged" EC2 to deploy nodes on different hardware. I don't remember
the details, I only remember that person determined he couldn't make it a
certainty but could tilt the odds so much in his favor (6:1?) that his VMs
would usually be on different hardware.

Tony