I was writing some tests to check if my mappings were being deployed
correctly, and came across this: if you have a geo_point field inside a
nested object, it will inherit the 'path' attribute from the nested object.

I.e. if you create an index like this:

curl -XPOST 'localhost:9200/test' -d '{
    "mappings" : {
        "type1" : {
            "properties" : {
                "geoInOuter" : {
                    "type" : "geo_point"
                },
                "obj1" : {
                    "type" : "nested",
                    "path" : "just_name",
                    "properties" : {
                        "geoInNested" : {
                            "type" : "geo_point"
}'

and then ask for the mapping back, like this
curl -XGET 'localhost:9200/test/_mapping'

the response will be this:

{
    "test" : {
        "mappings" : {
            "type1" : {
                "properties" : {
                    "geoInOuter" : {
                        "type" : "geo_point"
                    },
                    "obj1" : {
                        "type" : "nested",
                        "path" : "just_name",
                        "properties" : {
                            "geoInNested" : {
                                "type" : "geo_point",
                                "path" : "just_name"

Notice the extra 'path' attribute on the 'geoInNested' field.

Is this deliberate? In which case what affect does the path attribute have
on a geo point field? Or is this a bug?

Thanks.