I am not sure what the complaints are all about.

Over the past 20 years, my best practices are to treat the installed
configurations as a template that is subject to change upon reinstallation.
Then, I always create my own configuration and point the server to it, and
never point a server to the package's installed configuration.

And then, I maintain all of my customized configurations separately from
the installed packages.

Pointing to the installed configuration that you've modified is really no
different that running the installed jars that you have modified.Would you
really expect a reinstallation of Elasticsearch to preserve the changes you
have made to the originally installed elasticsearch-1.0.0.jar file?

The beauty of Elasticsearch's configurations are that they document
everything but actually set nothing. That's even better than the
configurations for the servers I write in which I set everything but to the
default values in the code. Same end result; different means of getting
there. In fact, the installed config is a big part of the package's
documentation about what is available to be configured. So I would expected
it to change on each installation.

And for the turn-key servers I developed in the past where the configs were
not maintained by Puppet or Chef or some other automated tool, I would
write a post installation step that would copy the installed config over a
taret config, but only if that target config did not exist. That way, the
customer could modify the target config and their changes would be
preserved. But today, our elasticsearch.yml file and other server configs
are maintained by Puppet and because we don't touch the installed config we
never have any problems with overwriting on a reinstallation.

Brian