Hello,
I have a use-case wherein I need to capture audit trail style information
for a large user population (~1 mil) for all their actions within multiple
applications and across web and API layers.

Questions:
1) From my reading, elasticsearch can be used for this specific use-case.
(Looks like github.com is possibly using them in this manner -
http://exploringelasticsearch.com/book/elasticsearch-at-scale-interviews/interview-with-the-github-elasticsearch-team.html)

2) Will I need to store the audit trail in a separate reliable database in
addition to elasticsearch or is only using elasticsearch sufficient.

Any tips gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.