Sorry to have taken so long to reply.  So I went ahead and followed your
link.  I'd been there before, but decided to give it a deeper look.  I
found actually, however, that bigdesk told me how many max open files the
process was using and from there I was able to determine that my settings
in limits.conf was not being honored even though if I switched to the
context Elasticsearch was running under I would get the appropriate limits.

I then dug into the service script and found someone dropped a ulimit
statement into the script that was overwriting the limits.conf setting.

Thank you,
Shannon Monasco