> must be _default_, not _default as shown in your default-mapping.json

Ahhh...good catch. That was a typo. However, after fixing that typo, the
problem remains.

The aggs search result is the following:
{
    took: 36
    timed_out: false
    _shards: {
        total: 1
        successful: 1
        failed: 0
    }
    hits: {
        total: 1
        max_score: 0
        hits: [ ]
    }
    aggregations: {
        foo: {
            buckets: [
                {
                    key: elasticsearch
                    doc_count: 1
                    key: rule
                    doc_count: 1
                }
            ]

My revised default-mapping.json is the following (I also changed an
analyzer):
{
  "_default_": {
    "properties": {
      "foo": {
        "type": "nested",
        "include_in_all": false,
        "properties": {
          "bar": {
            "type": "string",
            "index": "not_analyzed",
            "include_in_all": false,
            "fields": {
              "lower": {
                "analyzer": "standard",
                "type": "string"

The resulting metadata is the following:
{
    state: open
    settings: {
            uuid: S2hmo2d3SGWFP51PXs6XbA