The script elasticsearch, how you call it with absolute path under system
dir /usr/lib, has problems in traversing the path to find the parent folder
and set the variable ES_HOME.

You should use an init script, like provided by the distributions or the
service wrapper, with preconfigured environment, so ES_HOME and
ES_CLASSPATH (i.e. the $ES_HOME/lib folder) can be used.

Jörg