Cool, curious to see what happens.  As an aside, I would recommend
downgrading to Java 1.7.0_u25.  There are known bugs in the most recent
Oracle JVM versions which have not been resolved yet.  u25 is the most
recent safe version.  I don't think that's your problem, but it's a good
general consideration anyway.

-Z