> Anything in the logs or slow logs?  You're sure slow GCs aren't impacting
> performance?

There's nothing in the logs on the node other slow queries before or during
the problematic period. The slow query logs show the same types of queries
that we know to be slow (MLT queries with function rescores) and are shown.
As a percentage of queries executed the there is no bump in number of slow
queried before or during the problematic period. (Yes during the
problematic period the broken node actually executes and returns query
requests, it's not clear to me if it's simply routing queries to other
nodes or if it's shards are actually executing queries as well.)

In addition before the problem occurs there is no increase in ES threads,
heap or non heap memory use and the number of GC cycles remained consistent
at about once every 2 seconds on the node. There are no long GC cycles and
the node never drops from the cluster. During the problematic period the
cluster reports that it's in a green state however all of our logging
indicates that no indexing operations complete cluster wide (we should be
seeing 100-500 / sec under normal load).