I am planning to use elasticsearch (ES) for storing event logs. Per day,
the application should store nearly 3000+ events and size will be around
30-50K.
I need to take some statistics monthly, half yearly, yearly.... also year
old data can be ignored sometimes but data should be retained for many years
 I want to know the best practices in this scenario

1. Is it a good idea to create shards based on size/period or create one
shard with multiple alices based on filter condition?
2. Does ES merges the search results coming from multiple shards? If yes,
how fast or better it is compared to lucene's ranking based on Vector space
model?