Not true anymore: the java client has been compatible between minor
versions since 0.90 as far as I remember. 1.0.0 client is currently working
just fine against my 1.0.1 cluster, and my experimentation today shows that
it also works fine against 1.1.0.  So this used to be a nightmare requiring
synchronised upgrades, but hasn't been for a while.

FWIW we use the java client (in transport client mode) extensively from our
scala apps, and it works brilliantly. I'd definitely recommend.