Forgot to reply to your questions, Binh:

1) No I haven't set this. However I wonder if this has any significant
effect since swap space is barely used.
2) It seems to happen when the cluster is under high load but I haven't
seen any specific pattern so far.
3) No there's not. There's a very small Redis instance running on node1,
but there's nothing else on the nodes with shards (where the GC problem
happens).

If I was going to disable master on any node that has shards I'd have to
add another dummy node with master:true so the cluster is in good state if
any one of the nodes is down.