OK.  Optimize finally returned, so I suppose something was happening in the
background, but I'm still seeing over 6500 segments.  Even after setting
max_num_segments=5.  Does this seem right?  Queries are a little faster
(350-400ms) but still not great.  Bigdesk is still showing a fair amount of
file IO.