ok. i stopped the entire cluster and started one ES node at a time, and
that seemed to do the trick, even though that's one of the first things I
did when things went ary.
I have no idea how it could have gotten into that state to begin with, but
it's all good now.
We lost a ton of logs, but it looks like everything is OK now.
Alex