Hi Michael,

Running checkindex from the command line can prove to be tricky, since
checkindex is not aware of things like multi-data-path directories that you
might be using with Elasticsearch. Moreover, you will need to add the
Elasticsearch jars to the classpath since Elasticsearch customizes some of
the index file formats.

Elasticsearch has the ability to run checkindex when opening an index, see
index.shard.check_on_startup[1]. When set to true, Elasticsearch will run
checkindex when opening indices and prevent them from being open if they
appear to be corrupted. In case of a failure, you will need to check out
the logs in order to have details. Please not that this is not a live
setting, so this can only be changed on a closed index.

[1]
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/index-modules.html#index-modules-settings

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Michael Salmon <michael.sal...@inovia.nu>wrote:

> I recently had a problem with an index and after searching the net I
> decided to give checkIndex a try. I found the class in the right jar but I
> haven't been able to get it to check an index. For example when I run
>
> checkIndex -verbose ...heat-analyzer/7/index
>
> I get:
>
> ERROR: could not read any segments file in directory
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: ...heat-analyzer/7/index/segments_37l (No
> such file or directory)
>
> That is correct, the directory contains:
>
> _checksums-1397035754356  _j85h_es090_0.blm     _j8fu.cfe
>  _j91a.cfs
> _isy5.nvm                 _j86v.cfe             _j8g4.cfs
>  _j95w_es090_0.tim
> _j821.si                  _j870.cfs             _j8hl.si           _
> j963.si
> _j82l.cfs                 _j898_Lucene45_0.dvd  _j8ln.cfs
>  _j968.cfs
> _j838.cfe                 _j8ap.cfe             _j8t6.cfe          _
> j975.si
> _j83a.fdx                 _j8b6.cfs             _j8tb_es090_0.doc
>  _j9b9.cfs
> _j83o.nvd                 _j8c1.si              _j8tp.cfs
>  _j9di_es090_0.blm
> _j83o.si                  _j8cz.si              _j8v9.fnm
>  _j9e0.cfe
> _j83p.nvd                 _j8et.cfs             _j8yv.cfe
>  segments.gen
> _j84u.cfs                 _j8fa.cfs             _j919.fdt
>  write.lock
>
> I am running ES 1.1.0 and using the checkIndex from Lucene 4.7.0.
>
> Has anyone gotten checkIndex to work with this combination?
>
> /Michael
> --
> This space intentionally left not blank.

Adrien Grand