I think you should index it as a value in your document.

POST /articles/article
{"title" : "One",   "tags" : ["foo"], "size": 1}
POST /articles/article
{"title" : "Two",   "tags" : ["foo", "bar"], "size": 2}
POST /articles/article
{"title" : "Three", "tags" : ["foo", "bar", "baz"], "size": 3}

It will be really efficient.

That said, you could probably use a field script to compute it live:
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/search-request-script-fields.html#search-request-script-fields
 and this for sorting:
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/search-request-sort.html#_script_based_sorting

HTH

--
David Pilato | Technical Advocate | Elasticsearch.com
@dadoonet | @elasticsearchfr