I am having trouble replicating a shard and I cannot see any possible
reason for it. After 15 minutes I get a timeout in phase 2.

The shard isn't that large about 60,000K, 5GB and 22 segments and the
translog directories are empty.
The computers in question are lightly loaded as is the network between them.
Copying all the files in the shard from all 4 disks between the two
computers with rsync takes about 40 seconds.
I can't run checkIndex on the source machine as it can't handle shards that
are spread over multiple disks but it runs quite happily on the files I
copied with rsync although it took a bit over 12 minutes to run the check.
I have ES 1.1.0 installed.
I changed some settings but none of them seem to make much difference:

   "transient": {
      "logger": {
         "level": "TRACE"
      },
      "indices": {
         "store": {
            "throttle": {
               "type": "none"
            }
         },
         "recovery": {
            "translog_size": "256MB",
            "concurrent_streams": "16",
            "translog_ops": "10000",
            "max_bytes_per_sec": "250MB"

Does anyone have any tips on how I should proceed?