distinct_countOn Thu, May 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Phil Price <
philpr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would expect (aggregations.has_thing.dictinct_count.value +
> aggregations.does_not_have_thing.distinct_count.value) to be close to
> aggreations.total_distinct_count.value, but in reality it's pretty far off

I think this result is to be expected if you have some user IDs that match
both criteria? Eg. if your index has these two documents:

{
  "UserId" : 42,
  "State": "thing"

  "UserId" : 42,
  "State": "anything"
}

Then your aggregations would look like:

   "aggregations": {
      "total_distinct_count": {
         "value": 1
      },
      "does_not_have_thing": {
         "doc_count": 1,
         "distinct_count": {
            "value": 1
         }
      },
      "has_thing": {
         "doc_count": 1,
         "distinct_count": {
            "value": 1

And the sum of the values of distinct_count per bucket is larger than the
global value for distinct_count.

--
Adrien Grand