We've narrowed the problem down to a multi_match clause in our query:
 {"multi_match":{"fields":["attachments.*.bodies"], "query":"foobar"}}

This has to do with the way we've structured our index, We are searching an
index that contains emails, and we are indexing attachments in the
attachments.*.bodies fields. For example, attachments.1.bodies would
contain the text body of an attachment.

This structure is clearly sub-optimal in terms of multi_match queries, but
I need to structure our index in some way that we can search the contents
of an email and the parsed contents of its attachments, and get back the
email as a result.

>From reading the docs, it seems like the better way to solve this is with
nested types?
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/mapping-nested-type.html