I am trying to use the significant terms aggregation feature, but its
making the search very slow. Is there any optimization that i can do to
make it faster ? I have an index with 24 shards and 1 replica, where each
shard size is 2.5G. With the significant terms feature turned on many
searches take ~5s (even when the same search is repeated), with this
feature disabled it takes only ~150ms.

I am using it like the following

SearchRequestBuilder srb = ...;
SignificantTermsBuilder tags =
significantTerms("st_name").field("tags").size(11);
srb.addAggregation(tags);

Does any one have any hints at how to optimize this feature ? Is there some
level of caching involved in this feature ? If it does it shouldnt take ~5s
when the same query is executed again and again, isnt it ?

Thanks
Srini