I think the documentation is quite clear, but I try to explain in my own
words.

1.1 Not sure what you mean "after the quorum check". Write consistency is a
model where ES makes sure there are enough recipients (nodes) before writes
are executed. consistency=quorum fails if you have too few nodes to match
the actual replica count of the index.

1.2. No new shard is created - not sure I understand why such a thing
should happen?

2.1. No, the operation fails early if replica count is too low.
replication=async means, the operation is executed without waiting for
nodes to respond. It does not mean to ignore replica count.

2.2. When a node comes back, index recovery is performed to obtain
consistency. The node holding a replica with intact checksums and youngest
translog "wins" and will send this version of the shard to the other node.

Jörg